
SYDNEY – The operator of Australia’s largest mosque said on Thursday that it needs additional security after receiving three threatening letters within one month.
The Lebanese Muslim Association (LMA) said that the Lakemba Mosque in southwest Sydney on Wednesday received a letter containing a call to kill Muslims.
The letter, which was delivered hours before Ramadan, was the third threatening message sent to the mosque since Jan 22.
Gamel Kheir, secretary of the LMA, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) on Thursday that the threats have caused increasing unease among the community.
He said that the LMA has formally written to the government asking for more funding for additional security guards and CCTV cameras around the mosque.
Up to 5,000 people are expected to attend the Lakemba Mosque each night during Ramadan.
Mal Lanyon, commissioner of the police force in the state of New South Wales, said at a media conference on Thursday that police have taken possession of the latest letter and commenced an investigation.
“We are providing significant support to the Muslim community at the time of Ramadan,” he said.
A 70-year-old man was in January arrested and charged over the first letter sent to the mosque. The second letter was mailed to the mosque earlier this month, depicting the building on fire.